Most people haven’t been in drivers-ed for quite a few years. While many motorists know the basic rules of the road, they may have developed some habits along the way. Unfortunately, any driving negligence could end up seriously hurting the driver or others.
The most common bad driving habits
While New York adopted new distracted driving laws back in 2017, that doesn’t mean every motorist will abide by the rules. Here are some of the things some drivers do that can put themselves and others at serious risk:
- Driving with headphones on: Listening to music without headphones can be distracting enough. However, it can be even more dangerous when wearing actual headphones. This can be hazardous because the motorists may not be able to hear what’s going on around them.
- Changing lanes without signaling: Doing so is especially risky in heavy traffic. It can still be dangerous even if traffic is light or the driver is in a familiar area. According to a recent study, more than half of all car wrecks occur within a five-mile radius of the home.
- Going above the speed limit: When people are driving well above the speed limit, they can put themselves and others in grave danger. The faster people drive, the worse they typically are at reacting in time to avoid a crash.
- Driving without lights on: Especially when driving in the dark, other motorists need to know where one is going. If drivers don’t turn their headlights on, even if it’s not that dark out, it can cause problems.
- Driving without a seatbelt: Seatbelts have saved countless lives, but some drivers still don’t do it. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly 27 million Americans still don’t fasten their seatbelts while driving. It doesn’t matter if someone is driving for three minutes or three hours; seatbelts often save lives.
Motorists should look out for one another
As drivers become more comfortable, some may forget some essential road safety rules. While this can be quite common, motorists need to evaluate their habits and change them for the better.